Management A packaging specification database and management system
is an essential element for the consistent application of any guidelines
as well as being an essential element of environmental regulatory compliance.
The primary elements of such a database apply to each
packaging element including the primary package and all it comprises.
The "upper-level" part number of a series of elements includes
all data that must be compiled and summed in order to provide complete
reporting to environmental regulatory agencies. It is vital that all data
must be available on a component as well as complete package basis. It
should be noted that each country has different regulations and reporting
- Material - A complete materials database should be cross referenced with the specification
- Secondary Package Specification should include sufficient data for analyzing cubic
efficiency, density, case and material specification . This should include
any intermediate packages. This will include intermediate packages as
Unitization specifications should include data regarding
the exact unit load construction as well as alternate approved configurations
that may be required by different transportation modes.
Other Pack Details that should be Part of the Pack Specification include:
- Acceptable manufacturing and performance tolerances.
- The specification's revision level.
- Identification of any related documents.
A complete set of Testing Reports.
- A reference to the salient company quality standards.
- The environmental elements of the pack (Not all of the elements listed below
will be mandatory of all global regions, however keeping a record of these
points is good practice. Please see Environmental Considerations
for further details.):
- Volume set-up
- Material type
- Material details
- Recycled content
- Environmental labeling
- Label attachment or integration method
- Product weight
- Declared volume
- End User type
- Product label image/data
- Acceptable pack distribution methods for the pack.